Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Week of School

When I realized that the kids would be starting school in a few weeks, I realized I had forgotten what it was like to have them gone. I had just gotten so used to doing everything with them and not worrying about things like homework and field trips and packing lunches.

First, I panicked. They help me so much with Lily so I can do things around the house, how would I get those things done if they weren't here? Then I started to think of all the messes they make...and realized with a slow grin...there just might be less to do if they weren't here.

Does anyone remember my room growing up? My house is about the same. I can usually do a good overhaul clean but the day-to-day stuff...well, sigh, I am not a very disciplined person. And housework requires discipline.

My sister-in-law, Carlene, keeps a lovely house. It always looks neat and tidy and organized. She proclaims it is because she only has one child. You know and I know that she's just being nice.

So, I've issued myself a challenge:
I am going to become a disciplined woman!

I sat down and broke down what would need to be done in our home to make it clean on a regular basis. Each day has a set of tasks and 2 loads of laundry. This is my laundry schedule:

Monday Blues (jeans and darks), Tuesday Towels (and sheets), Wednesday Whites, Thursday Reds (any colors), and Friday is catch up day. I've been doing this for a year and it works pretty well for me.

This way, I'm not overwhelmed with the whole house and if I am, then I have a starting point for that day.

Well, this week was the first week of school. We had done well transitioning our kids from the summer hours back to school hours over the last couple of weeks. They start bathing, etc. at around 7 p.m. and by 8:30 p.m. lights are out. That's the goal. '
*FYI our kids get on the bus at 7:20 a.m. so that's why the early hours.

So, how did I do during this week? Pretty good! The kids got to school on time with breakfast and lunches packed and we even read our scriptures as a family. Today was the only day we didn't read because we all overslept. Which affected everything else.

I'm so excited about this school year. I really want to volunteer more at the school and help the teachers out. I plan on swimming 50 miles before the year is over. James, you inspired me when you said you were going to do a triathalon. Jess and I have been talking about that for years. I found one for next May that I think we can do.

I've been swimming at 5:00 in the morning for 2 weeks until I pulled my shoulder a little. It's better now, so I should be back in the water soon. It's so funny, I feel like an athlete while I work out but as soon as I get out of the pool or step off the elliptical machine and see myself, it jars me to see my body. So different than what I think I am. Who is that? I just feel really motivated to reach certain goals right now. Life is just too short to waste it.

Hope you all know I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


Summer Rain

Summer Rain

School Projects

School Projects
Chris's coat of arms project

Ready to Launch!

Ready to Launch!
Lily loves the pool and swimming!

Conked Out on the Couch

Conked Out on the Couch
Can you believe she fell asleep like this?

Lucky Kids

Lucky Kids
Thank you Grandma Anderson for the package!!